Sunday, December 2, 2012

2012 Christmas Kokeshis 2012年のクリスマスこけし

Happy holidays fellow kokeshi enthusiasts! Last December I posted a number of pictures of our kokeshi Christmas tree, as well as kokeshi Santas and snowmen. Here's a link to that post if you're interested. We're once again approaching Christmas and as usual Naoko pulled out the holiday decorations, including the Christmas kokeshis. As I was examining this unique collection I noticed that there was something new -- a "tree" with a number of dangling ornaments created by none other than Mrs. Honma Naoko 本間直子さん, a master kokeshi craftsman from Aomori Prefecture who has perfected amazingly cute kokeshis in her own style. As you'll see below, most of the ornaments are small kokeshis or wooden objects such as a bell and a wrapped present. They are done in the Honma style, and, as I think you'll agree, are absolutely fantastic. I don't know if this is a one of kind item, but it is very special and will come out each holiday season. Overall, there are twelve handmade wooden pieces on this tree, all of which are wonderfully innovative. All I can say about this item is "Bravo!"








Oh, and one more thing. A couple months ago I noticed a small, tiny (the size a small grape) beautiful kokeshi resting on Naoko's dresser. It too is by Mrs. Honma, but as you'll see in the picture below it is just a head which goes along with my theory that it's the face that makes the kokeshi. While this isn't a Christmas kokeshi, I thought it would be nice to share it while talking about Mrs. Honma's other piece above. 

So, a kokeshi adventure? Sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment