Monday, May 27, 2013

Desert Kokeshi 砂漠のこけし

Fellow kokeshi enthusiasts, greetings from somewhere in the Middle East! My job has sent me to this very hot, dry part of the world, but unfortunately I cannot say the location. Anyway, I brought one kokeshi to keep me company during my stay here. As you can see, it's a beautiful Togatta kokeshi 遠刈田系こけし that Naoko and I got sometime last year. It was used, but I can't recall if it was from a Tokyo Kokeshi Friends meeting, or if we received it as a gift, but it's a beautiful piece. I really like the kimono collar and "pound sign" motif. I'm not sure whose work this is, so I've posted a photo of the signature on the back of the kokeshi if you're curious. I don't have my kokeshi craftsmen reference books with me right now, so finding out who made it is difficult. Anyway, these may be the first pictures of a kokeshi taken in the Middle Eastern desert!
سلام

No comments:

Post a Comment