Sunday, January 19, 2014

Hawaii Kokeshi Adventure 1 ハワイのこけし冒険1

Back in December Naoko, the girls and I went to Hawaii for a little vacation. I brought my trusty Togatta kokeshi 遠刈田系 by Mr. Agatsuma Nobuo 我妻信雄さん with us, the same one that joined me in Qatar last summer. This kokeshi has become quite a world traveller! Here are a few shots of our kokeshi at the Haleiwa Beach Park on Oahu's north shore. As with everyone who visits Hawaii, our kokeshi was warmly welcomed.


Although I did not see any other kokeshis during our trip, I did see a number of young boys carrying around kendamas 剣玉, those kokeshi-like wooden toys with a round ball on the top that's connected by a string. It's obviously a fad right now in Hawaii, which is something I would never have expected!

No comments:

Post a Comment